Monday, February 6, 2012

Have I met myself half way?

Shakespeare literacy:

not quite.

The only thing I've done is go to the
Merchant of Venice and watch Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (which I'm currently writing a blog post about).

All the other plays I've either already read or have been in, so it hasn't really increased my depth as much as brought a few more things to my attention.

Analyze Shakespeare critically:

I would say that I've actually done some of that, especially with the posts on the Merchant of Venice specifically my posts entitled Racism and Man's Attitude. In my original plan I wanted to go into historical detail because it would stretch me.

I've also done theatrical analysis on much of the stuff explaining why things are they way they are. Refer to Librivox? and Making Fun of the French



Engage Shakespeare creatively:


I have already performed a monologue for the class as well as read several sections of the plays aloud.

I also have watched
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead ( as before mentioned, I'm currently writing a blog post about). I think Tom Stoppard's adaptation of Hamlet into this work is brilliant and also a new way of thinking about Shakespeare.

I also have a plan in the works for getting people to record two monologues from the Merchant of Venice, one for guys and one for girls and then piecing them together. But now that everyone has read it maybe I'll choose two monologues from my individually assigned plays. I will admit I've never read Othello and I'd like to give that a whirl, although I have directed two short monologues from it before. Maybe I should post that video in a post.



Share Shakespeare Meaningfully:


I've done some blogging, both formal and informal. I've also done some Facebook posts and some in person discussions with my acting friends. I was considering putting up a post about that, but my posts take a long time. I don't know that I've mastered writing an effective blog post yet.



Gain Digital Literacy:

I've listened to librivox for all of the plays except The Tempest.

As for producing content, I try to post links to other websites and artists that are worth looking into, or are relevant to the subject.

I would like to think that I've added to the class discussions for in class participation, as for outside, I have to go out of my way to actually get somebody who doesn't say "I hate Shakespeare." so I can work more on that one.




1 comment:

  1. Good goals. :) It is always effective to evaluate yourself and notice where you can improve.

    Blog posts are nice because they can be as casual or formal as you want. I wouldn't be scared to just casually throwing something that you just wrote on a whim up. It will improve your writing by creating a better first draft. You can always post a 'clarification' post or elaborate on a previous post.

    Take a risk, friend. I enjoy your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete