Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Court of Crazies

Okay so what the heck is going on when King Lear appoints Edgar to an imaginary judge and then presents his two daughters in the form of sticks and stools?


I'll tell you what. King Lear has lost all power over his children and his kingdom, so he takes advice from people that are so under him (Edgar pretending he's Tom, and the Fool) for two reasons. One, because they won't lie to them. Two, because he feels as lowly as their station. Unfortunately, because King Lear is around the two people that talk in circles, he starts going a little bit.... mad, crazy.

Quite honestly this part reminds me of a absurdist play where it's all about the breakdown of language. The most common one known is The Bald Soprano. I myself during both the court scene in King Lear and also in The Bald Soprano found myself saying to myself:

"why does this part exist?"

The crazier thing is that I actually find this run-around logic quite logical. You just have to listen to what they're saying and follow the train of brain thought rather than specifically what they're saying. If that doesn't make sense to you, that's okay. I have many friends that tell me that my own life is an absurdist play and that's the only reason that I get it. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment