Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I really enjoyed reading The Tempest. I especially enjoyed reading the witty banter between Antonio and Sebastian. The word play really got me into it. I will admit though, sometimes I found myself skipping people's names before I'd read the text just so I could keep the flow of the dialogue going. It sometimes got confusing when there were four characters all talking at once, but really what was important was the story line not who said exactly what.

Every time I read this play I wonder what Caliban would look like. Prospero infers that he is human, but the text suggests that he could have deformities or is maybe half beast half human. I've also wondered how a being could live in such misery. If I were Caliban I would have made a raft and fled the island, or struck out at Prospero until he couldn't cast his magic any more. Caliban to me represents the carnal man. There is not a more perfect example of it in Shakespeare's plays I feel. I think it's even more interesting that he is often portrayed as half beast, as if there were something in his genetic code that made him not want to change into a cultured man with morals governing his choices.
This is one portrayal of Caliban that I particularly liked done by a friend of mine two summers ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment