Tuesday, January 10, 2012

By Small and Simple Means are Great things brought to Pass

So I was flipping through my Complete works of Shakespeare today to get to The Tempest and I flipped instantly open to a passage that I marked 3 years ago when I was making a cutting of a script back in high school. The line was said by Caius Lucius to Imogen, who just found the beheaded body of her lover (or so she thinks). Lucius took over the father role in her life when he said this to her. "Be cheerful, and wipe thine eyes. Some falls are means the happier to arise."

Now normally this would be just a normal uplifting line that gets you giddy. However, for me it was something else today. I just went through a break up and I was having a hard time dealing with things until I read this line. It gave me courage. It gave me strength. I instantly sent the line over to a friend and she related how that happens all the time to her when she's having a rough day and flips open to a scripture. Not that Shakespeare is scripture, but he wrote a lot of good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment