Saturday, January 7, 2012

Giddy for Psychology

So i keep on thinking about this class that I'm doing this blog for. I've never had a class that I got to just study Shakespeare the entire time. Even though I've had extensive experience with his plays, there's always something else to discover in his works. It's like a where's Waldo of human psychology. He was brilliant in adding in hints of mental disorders into characters that we are only nowadays learning about and fully understanding. A perfect example of this is the Character Cloten from Cymbeline. Some friends and I are fully convinced that he has a very major form of Schizophrenia. You'd have to know the play to understand why. After all he does plan on raping and killing his stepsister. You don't realize that he's mentally ill till a few scenes before he gets beheaded though, ha ha. oh got to love those cavemen in the forest! Very good show; I suggest reading it if you get the chance, or if you go to Broadway you can see it right now. The guy in the middle played Cloten when I did this show about 3 years ago.

1 comment:

  1. So true about the mental illnesses--we even talked about this in high school English.

    ReplyDelete