Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Meleager Act I

Meleager gets off the ship that just sailed with Jason and the Argonauts to find the Golden Fleece. Before making the day's journey back home he decides to rest on land for a night. He enters an inn in Calydon (the city that he's from) and sits down with an beastial/ woodsmanly, yet attractive woman named Atalanta. Meleager notes her rough exterior and gruff mannerisms but also points out in an aside to the audience that seeing a woman that can stick up for herself is refreshing.

Meleager (aside):

Had we met in other circumstances
I would think that we should hunt the same beasts,
Eat the same slop, and likewise the same muck
Water; But I cannot help to think that her
Form is pleasant to mine eye with such strange
Qualities that I cannot express the
Wonders of my heart. Were I able to
Be struck by Cupid, for a legitimate
Woodsman he will never be and therefore
Could never track me, I would answer 'Hail'
To him that had pierced this bull's eye of flesh.
I will engage her again

(and back to his normal script)

He enjoys teasing Atalanta while she tries to challenge him. Meleager sadly notes that she is a woman and would never be able to officially compete in a hunt, a foot race, or a wrestling match. Atalanta takes this as even more of a challenge to herself and settles to get into a hunt by any means and beat the ruggedly handsome warrior by any means necessary.

Stay tuned for part two!

No comments:

Post a Comment