Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Learning Outcomes Analysis point by point


    * 1. Gain Shakespeare Literacy
      Demonstrate mastery over fundamental information about Shakespeare’s works, life, and legacy
      a. Breadth (knowledge of a range of Shakespeare’s works) I gained a great breadth when I read the comedies in our selection. I hadn't read Love's Labours Lost or Much Ado About Nothing before. I had already read all the other plays that we read in class.
      b. Depth (more thorough knowledge of a single work) I loved learning about King Lear more intensively. I had performed scenes from and dances about this play before, but I loved watching the degeneration of sociality in this play.
      c. Performance (stage and screen) I enjoyed watching Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead in movie format as well as Merchant of Venice and Love's Labours Lost on stage
      d. Legacy (history, scholarship, popular culture) We discussed a lot about this in class. I hope I brought a few nuggets of knowledge concerning the First Folio that everyone could appreciate.



   * 2. Analyze Shakespeare Critically
      Interpret Shakespeare’s works critically in their written form, in performance (stage or screen) and in digitally mediated transformations. This includes
      a. Textual analysis (theme, language, formal devices) I did this mostly in the analyzing of the texts as we read them, as can be seen in my blog posts.
      b. Contextual analysis (historical, contemporary, cultural) See blog posts concerning Man's attitude and many, many others
      c. Application of literary theories when we wrote our final project on Meleager, I was meticulous about adding iambic pentameter, punctuation and style. Unfortunately for time we had to edit out our best examples for the final project.
      d. Analysis of digital mediations we did many in class viewings of different Shakespearean video performances including some of my own off of facebook.

  

  * 3. Engage Shakespeare Creatively
      a. Performance (memorization, recitation, scene on stage or video) I did several readings in class, as well as monologue performances and also our final project was full of Shakespearean goodness.
      b. Individual creative work (literary imitation, art, music) check out my youtube channel. also I showed videos of dances and performances that I've done in the past for competitions.
      c. Collaborative creative project please see OUR PROJECT on the wiki

      


    * 4. Share Shakespeare Meaningfully
      This includes engaging in the following:
      a. Formal Writing. Develop and communicate your ideas about Shakespeare clearly in formal and researched writing and through a format and medium that puts your ideas into public circulation. All on the blog, plus some work I did on facebook that I didn't link to my blog
      b. Informal Writing. This mainly means through regular online writing Blog
      c. Connecting. Share one’s learning and creative work with others both in and outside of class. When I cast Meleager, there were only two of the 7 of us from class that were actually in the video. I shared with them what we had been doing and also the chance to be in the video. I'm glad that they joined too.

      I also loved to tell people about my Shakespeare class. It was one of the most exciting classes I've ever had in college. My parents always heard a fair deal about it, as did my coworkers. I would also post statuses on Facebook concerning my thoughts on projects and certain characters in plays.




   * 5. Gain Digital Literacy
      Students use their study of Shakespeare as a way of understanding and developing fluency in 21st century learning skills and computer-mediated modes of communication. Those skills are grouped under the following categories.
      a. Consume - Effective and independent selecting, searching, researching, I always would listen to the plays as I read them. It made it more enjoyable for me because I wasn't the one imagining voices in my head for the different characters. I also enjoyed when I switched from the LibriVox recordings to the BYU Audio Plays. They are much better in quality and also have characters played by the right genders. (LibriVox FAIL!!!) There was also a lot of research that went into each of my posts. I would look up what I could online to make my posts meaningful and not just blurbs from my head.
      b. Create - Producing content that demonstrates learning and which can be shared for others to profit from. All on the blog or wiki
      c. Connect - Engage with other learners within and outside of the class to develop thinking and share more formal work. My group up in Salt Lake would frequently meet together on Monday afternoons to make sure that we were all on the same page and also that everyone was making progress with their portions of the group projects. We also would comment on each others' blogs to help one another get better quality out of their original ideas. I also helped out connect other actors from BYU Provo to the other groups so that they had professionals to help them with their performance requirements.

      I'm not sure if professor Burton would like us to provide specific examples of stuff that happened in class, cause if so, there's a lot that I did in class that I haven't mentioned here. I like to be involved. Personally, I think that's the one downside to having someone from the other class grade us, because there's no way to tell how involved they were with the whole process.

      Also just because there wasn't a whole lot of commenting doesn't mean that people didn't read your blog as I found out. It's the same thing with Facebook. people read, but they don't have anything to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment