Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Course Reflection



    * 1. Gain Shakespeare Literacy
      Demonstrate mastery over fundamental information about Shakespeare’s works, life, and legacy

I feel like my grasp over the Shakespearean realm as both increase in breadth through my studies of the comedies that we studied this semester, and also a greater understanding of where William got his material before. I had no idea before that he was the Walt Disney of his time taking popular tales and then fleshing them out until it becomes something of it's own. It made me more inquisitive of the the histories that he wrote. I learned that, at the direction of Queen Elizabeth, Shakespeare would villainize the members of the opposing family, like Richard III. I Feel like the things I already knew were also accentuated in this class, keeping my previous studies on Shakespeare keen and sharp.
   * 2. Analyze Shakespeare Critically
      Interpret Shakespeare’s works critically in their written form, in performance (stage or screen) and in digitally mediated transformations. 
 
In my analysis of any of Shakespeare's work I feel like I have been able to dig into the text in a way that made me question the culture of the time. It also led to a greater understanding of the male psyche. It was great to do the First Folio work on my own even though  I wasn't able to share much of it with my class mates. I will admit I watched more Shakespearean performances in this one semester than I have in a while, whether that be film or play. It was great to understand how the acting plays along with the script. I also love how some directors make the plays their own just through their theme, like WWII in Love's Labours Lost. Forcing myself to blog about the different plays made me actually vocalize and pause to think about social, historical, and mental issues. It was a great way to prove myself socially.
      
  
  * 3. Engage Shakespeare Creatively
    
In my creative work I did many in class presentations of readings and also memorized and dramatized monologues. It was great to see how the plays I was rereading mostly could be interpreted differently than I had when I had done them in my acting career. I especially enjoyed working on Meleager with Rebecca and Cameron. I loved the fact that we got the chance to be like Shakespeare making something out of seemingly nothing. There were many other projects I had always wanted to do for this class that I never was able to get around to strictly because of time constraints, but I'm glad I was able to teach fight choreography theory and Shakespearean acting theory to my fellow class mates for the projects I was able to do.
      
    * 4. Share Shakespeare Meaningfully
    
I loved bringing my friends to the performances at BYU. We were able to have many good discussions based of Love's Labours Lost. It actually led to a deeper analysis of both of our lives and how we were approaching the thing that we must do rather than the things that we want to do. I was meticulous about writing on my blog when we were reading plays or when we were preparing Meleager for construction, but my sharing didn't stop there. I frequently would post on Facebook about the tantalizing experiences that we were having in class. It was cool to get responses from others about how they thought Shakespeare should be interpreted. It was also a great opportunity for me to share my love of shakespeare with many of those around me who don't think Shakespeare is cool. Obviously those people haven't read Julius Caesar or Henry IV parts 1, &2, and then Henry V.
   * 5. Gain Digital Literacy
      Students use their study of Shakespeare as a way of understanding and developing fluency in 21st century learning skills and computer-mediated modes of communication. Those skills are grouped under the following categories.
      
 
I had never before thought of reading a play while listening to it. Then again I haven't really studied a play if i wasn't preparing to perform it. I learned about valuable resources for both good audio plays and absolutely terrible ones. I give props to the people that made the freeware versions available. 
 
I had never before written a blog. I'm not usually online except for when I'm doing research for my fight choreography needs. It was cool for me to be a part of what seemed to be a living organism that I could contribute to. The feeling was even better when the whole class started working on the wiki together. It took me till nearly the end of the semester, but I feel like I am capable of being able to start a blog for my fight choreography company. It's always been something I had considered doing.
 
I liked the ability for anyone I wanted to just go read my blog. I feel like I could share this blog with any of my acting friends and they would wonder in amazement. I can't wait to see what just the other class thinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment